Can You Fight?
During Bible Study the Lord prompted my heart to speak a little bit about how I grew up. From 4th - 10th grade I was always fighting. Many times the fight didn't have anything to do with me but it may involve a friend or a family and if you messed with them, you were messing with me!
I have always had a sort of protector, defender, Mother-Hen type personality. I was and am the type of person that if I'm with you --- I am WITH YOU! There is no half way mark for me. I am in or I am out so the one thing I can not stand is someone who pretends to have my back and in the middle of a battle I can't find you! You must be loyal!
When I was in school and I knew a fight was soon to take place, if you were new to me but said you were with me, my first question was, "Can you fight?" Let me know what I am working with! If you can fight I know you can hold your own. If you can't fight, then I know from the jump I have to up my skills to make up for your lack. I would respect you more if you fighting with me and getting beat but at least you are IN THE FIGHT!
I didn't realize how those secular principles also apply in the spiritual realm. God doesn't necessarily care IF you can fight but WILL you fight??!! We already know what we are dealing with and who we are dealing with. Our adversary the devil comes to steal, kill and destroy but God's Word says that Christ has come not to just give us life, but to give it to us more abundantly. So many times, we make the devil bigger and badder than he is! The devil has a lot of mouth and we need to learn how to close it! I have learned through research and experiences that the devil comes at you with the same tactics over and over again, and why not? They work! What are they? I call them the 5 F's:
Friends Family Foes Fiances Faith and all these bring Foolishness!
Your best friend has done something so dumb that he/she knows will irritate you beyond comprehension and before you know it, the two of you are arguing and not speaking.Your husband, wife, son, daughter, mother, father, sister or brother can get under your skin like nobody's business! Every time you look around someone has their hands out asking you for money to do so and so and they haven't paid you back from the last time you gave them money! So how to you deal with this wimp of an enemy? I am glad you asked:
1. Know Your Enemy: - The devil is a thug, a wimp, and when we see him before he is descended into the pits of hell, we are gonna look at this weasel who is probably 2 ft and say, "Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble...? Isaiah 14:16
2. Know his Motive/Purpose: - John 10:10-29: The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 1st Peter 5:8 tells us, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." The Greek word for "devour" means "to make disappear"; hence, Satan wants to either kill you or render you useless for God.
3. Know his devices/weapons: - The devil uses the same tactics and people, and situations: Faith, Friends, Foes, Finances, Family which brings about Foolishness!
4. Know his weakness: Remember what the devil said in Isaiah 14: 13-14 "You said in your heart, “I will ascend to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.[a] I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.”
1 John 2:16: For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. There are only 3 sins and they are:
Pride of LifeLust of the Eye Lust of the Flesh
Once you understand the enemy's plots, ploys, plans, tactics and tricks you must:
1. Know Who You Are: (Our Identity is connected to His Divinity) Genesis 1:27 "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."1 John 5:18 "We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him."
2. Know Your Motives/Purpose: (Discipleship)
Matthew 5:14 Jesus says, " You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden."1 Timothy 2:4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
3. Know Your Weapons: Ephesians 6:13-18
Your loins girt about with truth (verse 14). Loins refers to our minds. 1 Peter 1:13 says, “Gird up the loins of your mind." That means fill your mind with the Word of God.Your breastplate of righteousness (verse 14). The breastplate of righteousness fortifies your heart against the enemy’s attacks.Your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace (verse 15). The Word of God must affect your walk, your life.Your shield of faith (verse 16). Faith brings powerful results. When faith is joined with the results of the Word, you can withstand the enemy’s fiery darts.Your helmet of salvation (verse 17). The helmet is the doctrine of the Word that brings balance to your life and keeps you walking steady in the Spirit.Your sword of the Spirit (verse 17). All the armor up to this point has served a defensive purpose, intended for use in facing the enemy. The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God, intended to be used as an offensive weapon against the enemy.Your time spent in prayer and supplication in the Spirit (verse 18). Also used on offense, prayer covers and clothes us like a mantle.
4. Know Your Strength: (CHRIST)
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all this through him who gives me strength."Psalm 28:7-8 "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one."Psalm 118:14 "The LORD is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation."Romans 8:37 "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."
When you get this in your Spirit, you can see the enemy coming a mile away and know how to deal with him. Stop waiting for the devil to come looking for you and go look for him! If he hasn't bothered you in a while, get on your watchtowers and pray for others who are in spiritual warfare. Start a fast! Study the Word! Continually remind yourself and others that when it comes to the devil - YES YOU CAN FIGHT AND WIN!!